Monday, January 22, 2007

A setback

Things have been going fairly well up until a week ago. My exercise routine was fun, and quite effective too. We met with family this week, people whom I hadn't seen in a couple of months, and it was nice hearing the compliments lol. I finally noticed a change on the scale as well. Over the past 8 weeks I lose approximately 8 lbs. Now, that's not a lot, I know, but I am positive that I gained quite a lot of muscle mass too, so hopefully the actual fat loss is more than 8 lbs.

However, about a week and a half ago I got the flu and took a break from training for a few days. More importantly, just prior to that I managed to injure myself during training. I pushed things a bit too far on the elliptical and ended up with what I thought was a nasty spasm. But almost two weeks later, I finally realized I had actually have a proper calf muscle strain, the kind that all websites recommend the RICE treatment for, for a period of 2-4 weeks :(

At this point, I'm torn. The sensible part in me (yes, there is one!) tells me to follow the procedure and let the muscle heal. I did go to the gym this week, and probably made it all a bit worse, to the point where it suddenly hurt so bad I had to get off the treadmill altogether and call hubby to give me a ride back home. I couldn't walk without a very intense pain in my calf... Then again, I keep wondering, what if I go for a relatively mild workout, maybe use the bike more, and keep walking down to low pace, no uphill, kind of walking? I realize it won't rest the leg, but frankly, I am a bit weary of not working out for a few weeks. I am so much more fit now, it would be a shame to lose it all and get back to the start :(

Anyway, I think I'll take a break now, and go rest my leg on some ice for a bit. It's not fun at all, makes my foot freeze, but since I probably am taking the day off practice, I guess I might as well do the RICE thing properly :p

No comments: